St. Thomas Montessori is dedicated to providing an outstanding Catholic Montessori education to children 18months-6 years in a Catholic atmosphere faithful to the Church. Using the philosophy and techniques of the Montessori approach, including our mother tongue(Chaldean language.) Our goal is to enable each child to develop as a good Catholic human being: religiously, intellectually, socially, physically, and emotionally.
At St. Thomas Montessori we believe…
- Each of us is a child of God.
- We walk in the footsteps of Jesus.
- We respect others, our environment, and ourselves.
- We do our best.
- We are responsible for our own actions.
- We speak truth in love.
St. Thomas and the Montessori method…
- The child is urged from within by basic human tendencies, develops along the four planes of development, and is guided by the sensitive periods.
- The best environment for learning encourages freedom within limits, is rich with developmental materials for the acquisition of culture, and encourages spontaneous activity.
- Multi-age environments encourage community, connect to the family, and enable children to assume their role in society. Equally important is for each child to have the opportunity to work at their own pace.
- A teacher’s role is to observe the child and act as the dynamic link between the child, the church, and the prepared environment.
- The work of an educator is a vocation of love and service to all humanity, through the child.
- Assessment takes on many forms in the environment and must be integrated, authentic, and age appropriate.